You can reset the password for the locked computer by using the password reset disk that is stored on the USB flash drive or floppy disk drive. Therefore, it is a good idea to create a password reset disk because you may forget your computer’s logon password.
What is a password reset disk?
A password reset disk is essentially a tool that allows you to change the logon password if you forgot it. If you create a password in Windows, you can reset this password to a new password without any technical knowledge by using a password reset disk.
How do I create a Windows password reset disk?
The password reset disk can be easily created on your own computer or others’ computers. You will also find that no additional software is required, as a Windows computer already contains all the tools needed to create a password reset disk.
- Make sure that you have logged in to a user account and go to the “Control Panel”.
- You will find “Create password reset disk” under “User accounts”.
- Insert the storage medium you have prepared before clicking on “Create Password Reset Disk”.
- When the “Forgotten Password Wizard” appears, tap “Next”.
- Select the drive in which you want to save the password reset disk.
- Enter the logon password of the current account. A password reset disk will be created for this account.
- Click “Next” and then “Finish” when the process is finished.
In just a few steps, you’ve created a password reset disk for your account.
How to create a new password for your locked computer with a password reset disk?
The password reset disk lets you easily unlock the locked computer without using the password. Therefore, the next time you forget your logon password, you can use the password reset disk you just created. It will be easy to recover without much effort to learn too many technical details.
- Insert the password reset disk.
- Click “Reset Password”.
- When you see the “Password Reset Wizard”, click “Next”.
- Select the drive where the password reset disk is located and click “Next”.
- The password reset disk works and you can reset the logon password now.
- Click “Next” and then “Finish”.
- Use the new password to log on to your computer.
Note: You should never create an easy-to-hack password.
What you should know before creating a password reset disk?
You can create a password reset disk without additional software or technical knowledge, and easily unlock your computer if you forget the logon password. However, there are 7 things you should know when creating or using a Windows password reset disk.
- A user account should exist for which you can create a password reset disk. You cannot create one for your Microsoft account. You must, therefore, log in to a user account when you create a password reset disk in Windows.
- The password reset disk works for your local user account. A local account can only have one password reset disk. If you try to create a new password reset disk, the previous one will be overwritten. It also applies only to the account for which it was created. You can not use it to reset the password of other accounts. Therefore, you should create password reset disks for all your accounts.
- You must also prepare a USB drive or floppy disk drive and floppy disk to create a password reset disk in Windows. Although you may have multiple user accounts for creating password reset disks, you can use the same USB drive or floppy disk as the storage medium. Since the file name (userkey) or file extension (.psw) can never be changed, you must save it in separate folders.to avoid name collisions.
- When creating a Windows password reset disk, you must also enter your login password. Make sure you know the correct password for your user account. Otherwise, you will not be able to create a password reset disk.
- If you create a password reset disk according to the instructions above, you should keep it in a safe place and remember the location. Because if others happen to get your password reset disk, they can also access your computer without knowing the logon password. Since it is replaced by another new password that you don’t know, you can not access your own computer. In addition, you can not unlock your computer with the password reset disk you created because you lost it.
- One good thing about the password reset disk is that using this disk to access a locked computer does not damage the data on your computer. However, it remains important to back up your important data in case of other accidents. As the old saying goes, you can not be too careful with your sensitive data.
- And best of all, you can always use the password reset disk you created for a user account to unlock your Windows computer. No matter how many times you have changed the password, you don’t need to recreate a password reset disk. The original one still works.
To sum up, a password reset disk is useful. It is also harmful in the wrong hands. You should always be careful about your privacy and security.